I’ve written a lot lately about getting rid of debts and reducing expenses.
I thought it was time I address the flip side of your finances: Ways to make extra money.
Thanks to suggestions by my Twitter followers, readers, and other bloggers I’ve been able to put together a solid list of 52 ways to make extra money.
Most, if not all of these ways to make money, can be done even with a full-time job.
I obviously haven’t tried all of these methods, but when possible I’ve tried to (link) to an example of the opportunity actually making money. You should be able to find something here that fits you and your skills.
1. Swagbucks – You earn points, called SB, just for watching videos, answering surveys, discovering special deals, shopping, or searching the internet. There is no limit to the amount of SB you can earn, and they can be redeemed for free gift cards to all of the top retailers (Amazon, Target, Starbucks and eBay included) or for cash (PayPal, VISA gift cards). Check out our Swagbucks review to learn more.
2. Bing Rewards – If you enjoy spending time online, filling out surveys and looking at things you’d normally look at for free, than Bing Rewards is definitely a site for you. The popular search engine offers points for doing just about everything and the more points you receive, the more money you’ll earn! Signing up is as simply as entering your MSN or Hotmail email address and there is no cap to the amount of money you can earn.
3. Bar Tending – Even better, I think, than waiting tables is tending the bar at nights in a busy bar. Typically at least $1 for every drink you serve.
4. Teaching Swimming Lessons – If you’re a good swimmer you might be able to pick up a weekend swim teacher gig at your local recreation center. Keep in mind that some places may require a special certification or that you be a lifeguard.
5. Car Valet – If you hook up with a for-hire car parking service (the type hired out for fancy neighborhood parties) you can make some nice cash tips in just a few hours at night and on the weekend, when parties are held.
6. Online Surveys and Shopping – Get paid to do quick and easy online surveys and or shop your favorite websites.
CashCrate – There’s some money to be made with CashCrate.com completing the free offers, but the real cash comes from the referral program. Earn extra money at CashCrate.com by taking part in daily research surveys, doing your shopping online, and referring other members to their program.
Opinion Outpost is another online survey option to consider. Members of Opinion Outpost get paid cash and rewards for completing paid surveys online. It’s free to sign up.
Harris Poll provides the opportunity to share your opinion to influence important decision makers in government, corporations, and non-profit organizations. You participate in a variety of online market research surveys and share how you feel about their products or services.
7. Check Your Credit Score – One of the quickest ways to save yourself thousands of dollars is by checking your credit score and fixing errors on your credit report. The three major credit bureaus have big influence on your current interest rates (mortgage, auto, etc.) and improving your credit score could save you thousands a year in interest payments. Right now, Credit Sesame and Credit Karma provide you your credit score 100% FREE of charge (no credit card, no free-trials, no tricks, free for life).
8. Sell Yourself Online – Get creative and sell you and your time online in a fresh, new way. It’s not what you think: Make money on Fivver.com.
9. Write an eBook – I hesitate to put this one in here because an eBook by itself usually doesn’t make money unless you’re an excellent marketer. What a great eBook can do though is act as a sales lead to one of your other online businesses.
10. Design Web Logos – If you’re good with Photoshop and can work quick, you might could make some decent cash with this online business.
11. Write Reviews – There are many websites that will pay you a little cash to write product reviews. If you’re knowledgeable and can write fast, this may work for you.
12. Blogging – This isn’t quick money, but you can make decent money with a little luck and a few months of solid, consistent effort. Believe me, it can be tough and a bit time consuming, but it can be done. Get started by reading my article on how to make money bloggging.
13. Generate a New Business Idea – My friend, Ramit Sethi, New York Times Best Selling Author, has created a powerful “Idea Generator Tool” that debunks the myth that you need to start the next Facebook or Google in order to build multiple revenue streams. Ramit shows you how you can earn an extra $1,000 a month on the side with just a few hours a week and you can ramp up from there.
He also has an online mini-course that shows you how to go from no idea to a profitable online business – fast. It’s called “Launch Your Profitable Online Business: How to Find a Profitable Business Idea in 7 Days”
14. Freebie Trading – Freebie trading is a real money maker. But it takes a special person to master the techniques and be consistent with the process. See how The Freebie Guy made over $28K in his First Year
15. Freelance Writer – Right now on Elance.com they are looking for more writers. Set up an ad and start offering up your fast writing skills.
16. Sell Digital Photos – (Digital Photography School) – Take nice pictures. Get them up on the web at a broker, or Microstock site. Make some money. It’s not as easy as that, but those are the basics. If you need a better guide, check out Photo Nuts and Bolts: Know Your Camera and Take Better Photos
17. Get Store Refunds – A service like Paribus automatically gets you refunds you’re owed from stores. When you buy something and it goes on sale after, you are guaranteed the difference back. Paribus gets you this money back right from your inbox. No effort required. Paribus also provides iOS and Android apps with a live feed of savings.
18. Start an Online Store – Setting up an online store is extremely easy with sites like Amazon, eBay, and CafePress. Once you learn how to market that site you can begin making some cash.
19. Focus Group Participant – Researchers need people to help them develop their results. Become a member of a focus group in your area and get your share of their research funding. Call your local university, museum, or look in your local paper for opportunities.
20. Sell Bottled Water – Buy bottled water in bulk and sell it for a dollar where there are a ton of people: parks, festivals, concerts, etc.
21. Sell Your Body – Not talking about the oldest profession here. I’m talking about your plasma, hair, eggs, and sperm.
22. Have a Car Wash – Find a business that’s willing to loan you their parking lot and gather up a few friends to wash some cars. Take donations or ask for very little. People usually do this to raise fund for an organization, but there’s no reason you couldn’t do it for the You Foundation.
23. Cleaning Houses – This is a job with flexible hours, but requires a bit of elbow grease. Some homes would provide their own cleaning supplies and tools.
24. Get a 2010 Census Job – Work opportunities begin in the Spring.
25. Sell Your Baked Goods – Are you skilled at a few special recipes? Contract your items out for parties, meetings, etc.
26. Rent Out Your Car – A service like Turo, provides you the ability to rent out your car. There are 3 ways to earn money: local pickup (renting from your own driveway); delivering your car to local places; and also by leaving your car somewhere to be picked up (such as at the airport). Special Promo: For the next couple of weeks you can earn up to $100 bonus by listing and renting out your first vehicle.