Back when I posted my list of 104 Ways to Save Extra Money, I received quite a few emails with more ideas for saving. One of the better emails, from a reader named Amy, contained 7 more ways to save extra money. I thought it was a pretty solid list, so I thought I would share it here for you guys and invite you to list your best way to save money in the comments below.
1. Pay your bills on time. You’ll avoid late fees and finance charges and a better credit score means you’ll be offered better rates on other things.
2. Make gifts. Utilize an existing skill, learn a new one, or compile your own gift baskets. The person who has everything still needs tasty food.
3. Cancel subscriptions. Read newspaper or magazines for free online or at the library.
4. Buy generic or store brands. Sometimes we end up paying more just for the label.
5. Lower the thermostat. Your family probably won’t notice if you turn down the heat by one degree (unless you tell them what you did).
6. Shop thrift stores. Inexpensive dishes, utensils, pots, pans, glassware, picture frames, tools, books, furniture……I could go on.
7. DIY cleaning supplies. Find recipes online to make your own glass cleaner and tub scrub using simple, cheap ingredients like white vinegar, baking soda, and dish soap.
So what are your ideas? How are you saving extra money right now?
photo by alancleaver_2000