Many moons ago, while in high school, I was turned onto the Upromise program by my Aunt, who was a high school teacher. I signed up immediately, had my family members sign up immediately but this being over a decade ago (and online shopping not what it has become), I didn’t gain much traction. My family loved me and all, but capitalizing on the Upromise program to help me pay for my education just wasn’t in their field of vision. After all, my parents still used a rotary phone, and had no idea of the invention of the microwave, toaster oven or how to turn on a computer.
Today however, taking advantage of what Upromise has to offer is a breeze. Upromise partners with more than 850 online retailers and travel sites as well as 10,000+ restaurants to reward up to 5% cash back each time you shop or dine out. You can also register your grocery store and pharmacy loyalty cards to earn cash back while you shop in-store. Not to mention it’s free to join! And along with the advances in streamlining their program, Upromise also has another big way to earn additional money for school, and that’s through the Upromise MasterCard®.
The Upromise MasterCard sports a wide variety of top notch features. Starting with their rewards program, cardmembers will earn the following tiers on their spending:
- An additional 5% cash back on eligible online purchases, at participating restaurants and travel partners through Upromise.com (that’s up to 10% total cash back with the card and Upromise membership!)
- 2% cash back on eligible in-store department store and movie theater purchases
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
So how can you redeem your rewards? Well the Upromise MasterCard allows a variety of redemption options, including:
- Contributing to an eligible 529 college savings plan
- Depositing into a Upromise GoalSaver savings account (which can be eligible to receive a 10% match!)
- Paying down eligible student loans
- Redeeming checks of $10 or more through the mail
There is no limit to the total cash back that can be earned, no spend thresholds or levels to worry about. New cardmembers of the Upromise MasterCard will also earn a one-time $xx bonus for making just one purchase or balance transfer within the first 90 days of card ownership. Speaking of balance transfers, this card offers a 0% intro APR on balance transfers (made in the first 45 days) for 15 months, and the standard purchase and BT APR is 14.24% – 23.24% variable.
Two additional benefits to mention, the Upromise MasterCard includes a complementary FICO score for new cardmembers and it carries no annual fee.