Determining the value of something in a free-market economy can be difficult these days. In some cases, a select set of experts can define the price on a certain product and in other cases, somethings value can only be determined by the person that owns it. The Platinum Card® from American Express is looked upon by most Americans as a terrible waste of money because it charges a very large $450 annual fee but if you are a consumer with excellent credit that loves to travel, you’ll save a lot more than this annual fee.
The current bonus for The Platinum Card® from American Express is 25,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $2,000 during your first three months of Card membership. In addition to the up-front bonus this card offers, all Platinum Card from American Express members will also receive dozens of perks. Most notably:
- Premium travel benefits: access over 600 lounges worldwide when you enroll in Priority Pass Select, no foreign transaction fees, bypass airport arrival lines with Global EntryOne rewards point for every dollar you spend on all purchases
- Receive up to $200 annually in a statement credit with the airline of your choice to use towards baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food and beverage purchases and more
- 24/7 Platinum Card Concierge service for assistance with reservations, travel, gifts, and more
- Entertainment benefits: get Advance Tickets before the public and access once in a lifetime events with By Invitation Only
- Fine Hotels & Resorts Program: exclusive upgrades and amenities at over 700 boutique, resort, and luxury hotels worldwide valued at over $450. Based on double occupancy. Actual value varies by property, length and date of stay
- Terms and restrictions apply
Now, The Platinum Card® from American Express is not your typical credit card. This is a charge card you see, which means there is no pre-set spending limit and all charges you make are due in full every single month. No interest is charged month to month and the way American Express makes money is by charging vendors to accept your card while charging you an annual fee. If you cannot pay your bill in full every month or fear you will charge way too much because you have no spending limit, than this is NOT the card for you. However if you can keep a level head and take advantage of all the travel perks, you won’t find a better card.
An annual fee of $450 is a very big price-tag, especially when it’s just for the privilege to own a credit card. Many other cards on the market today have big bonuses, great rewards programs and no annual fees but for those that like to travel in style and need a card that shows prestige, the only choice today is The Platinum Card® from American Express.
“Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer. This site may be compensated through the issuer’s Affiliate Program.”