In an effort to provide consumers with a credit card they can use for just about anything, Our partner Citi has launched a new line of cards, focused on high rewards and low fees. One of those cards is the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card – Earn up to 20,000 Bonus Points and for a limited time, all new cardholders will receive 20,000 bonus ThankYou points, enough to redeem a $200 gift card through the ThankYou rewards network. Earn 20,000 bonus points after $1,500 in purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
This Citi ThankYou Preferred Rewards Card has a 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 12 months, and then the standard purchase APR is 12.99% – 22.99% variable goes into effect, based on the applicants credit history.
The rewards program for the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card – Earn up to 20,000 Bonus Points is straightforward. Points are earned on every purchase and be broken down in the following way:
- Earn 2 ThankYou Points on purchases for dining and entertainment
- Earn 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 you spend on all purchases
So long as you make one purchase every 12 months, your ThankYou points will never expire. I know that sometimes when I make a purchase I think will “qualify” for the increased rewards, it doesn’t. To give you as much transparency as possible, these are the categories Citi defines as “entertainment” that will net you 2 ThankYou points per $1 spent:
- Live performances are made up of theatrical and sports promoter merchants. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies.
- Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums.
- Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions.
- Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows.
- Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists.
- Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs, music downloads and related items, from online record stores.
- Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.
If you make a purchase you feel should qualify (and does not), I would recommend calling the customer service number on the back of the card and explaining your thoughts. Many times, customer service agents will side with you and offer you the additional points. Stay calm and collected and stick with sound reasoning!
Last but not least, the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card – Earn up to 20,000 Bonus Points has no annual fee, meaning your $200 gift card doesn’t come with a catch. This fall, if you need a card that earns a high reward for all of your gift purchases and gives you a little something extra on the side, consider applying for the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card – Earn up to 20,000 Bonus Points.
“Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer. This site may be compensated through the issuer’s Affiliate Program.”
“The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.”