Would you ever consider relocating to a city with more job opportunities? CNN Money recently released their Best Places to Live 2009 list. This year’s ranking was, for obvious reasons, heavily slanted towards cities that provided the most job opportunities. The top ten cities were:
1. Louisville, CO
2. Chanhassen, MN
3. Papillion, NE
4. Middleton, WI
5. Milton, MA
6. Warren, NJ
7. Keller, TX
8. Peachtree City, GA
9. Lake St. Louis, MO
10. Mukilteo, WA
Early in my career I made a move to a city with more opportunity. At the time I didn’t have any responsibilities or ties that could hold me back from moving. I didn’t have a wife or kids in school. I was free to find the best place for me at the time.
Looking back, I definitely consider it a good move from a career perspective. I’ve changed jobs 3 times within this city since first moving, and at each change I had multiple job opportunities made available to me. I wouldn’t have had those I don’t think had I stayed put.
Now that I do have a wife and kid, as well as a community that I’m involved in, it would be a tough decision to make the move to a new city just for a job opportunity. Do you think you could do it? Have you made that move? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.
Here are a few of my favorite articles from last week.
- How to Get Ripped for Free Without a Gym
- The Original Millionaire To-Do List
- What Kind of Credit Card Debt Repayment Person Are You?
- How to Find Cheap Airfare and Hotel like a Ninja Master
- Free Amazon Gift Card
- HPs Back to School Giveaway
- Carnival of Pecuniary Delights #19: Poor Dead Garden Edition
- Money Hacks Carnival #76: Fun Money Facts Edition
- Festival of Frugality #189: Extreme Heat Edition
- Carnival of Personal Finance: Money Quotes Edition
- Carnival of Twenty Something Finances
- Economy and Finances Carnival
Have a nice week.