It’s been some time since a bank has improved the offer on one of it’s frequent flyer credit cards but Citi recently launched an update to their American Airlines frequent flyer credit card. The Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage Visa Signature Card has increased a few important perks while keeping a low annual fee for all American Airline travelers. Let’s take a deeper look into the pros and cons of card ownership.
Following $3,000 in purchases during the first three months, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card holders will receive 40,000 bonus miles. Although the application page makes no mention, 40,000 bonus miles is enough for a round-trip flight in the continental United States with a few points left over. Not to mention …
- A $100 American Airlines discount every year you spend $30,000. That’s a lot of money to spend on a credit card in one year so while this is a nice perk, don’t count on it year in and year out.
- 10% of your redeemed American Airline miles are returned every year. For example if you turned in 50,000, you’d receive a 5,000 mile bonus.
- Double miles on all American Airlines purchases
- 25% discount on in-flight food and beverages (which is a very nice perk for the frequent flyer)
- No mileage cap and priority boarding with Group 1 privileges on every flight
AAdvantage Pricing Details
Even though this credit card should be used for travel only (and paid in full every month), sometimes an emergency comes up where you have to roll over a balance month to month. The Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card has a variable APR of 15.24%, which is pretty average for a credit card these days. The cash advance APR is 25.24% and the default APR is 29.99%.
Unfortunately, you won’t find an introductory offer on the Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage Visa Signature Card and the annual fee is somewhat steep at $95. But that fee is waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership and just about matches the annual fee on all other airline miles credit cards.
For those that fly American Airlines often, the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card is a card you need to own. The miles you’ll rack up on flights in addition to the discounts you’ll receive during flights makes this a pretty solid offer from Citi. The $95 annual fee is a detraction to the overall value, but trying it for 12 months won’t hurt your wallet.