Welcome to PT Money. Since 2007, I’ve been trying to help people do more with their money. To make it easier for someone new to the site to take in all the information here, I’ve put together a list of my favorite posts and resources:
- How to Save 20% of Your Income Consistently Each Year in Your 30s
- 31 Days to Improve Your Financial Life
- What’s Keeping You From a Radical Financial Life?
- The Secret to Becoming Your Own Financial Expert
- 101 Money Skills Everyone Should Have
- It’s Okay to Spend Your Money on Things You Really Want
- 104 Ways to Save Money
- How To Save Money Like A Madman
- Income vs Expense: Where Should You Focus Your Time and Energy?
It All Starts with Getting Out of Debt and Spending Wisely
- Relying Too Much on “Future You”
- 6 Steps to Help Stop the Cycle of Debt
- How to Pay Off Debt and Be Debt Free
- 13 Tricks to Help You Get Rid of Credit Card Debt
- Pizza Delivery Guy Pays Off $45,000 in Debt
- Take Back Control: Use Your Credit Wisely
- Should I Consolidate My Student Loans?
- Should You Payoff the Mortgage(s) Early?
- 10 Things You Can Do Today to Spend More Wisely
- Use These Psychological Tricks to Spend Money Wisely
- How to Optimize Your Spending
- Why I Like “Spending Plan” Better than “Budget”
- 33 Free Things to Do in the Summer
- How to Conquer Those Monthly Expenses
- Save on Dining: Eat Out and Spend Less
- Can You Afford a Baby?
- Running the Gauntlet that is the New Car Dealership
Recommended Resources: ReadyForZero.com and Personal Capital.
Mastering the Art of Saving, Investing, and Retirement
- Our Savings Goals
- Save More Money: Automate and Separate Your Savings
- The Pay Yourself First Concept: Are You Applying It?
- 7 Ways to Kick-Start the Saving Habit and Start Saving Money Today
- The Savings Snowball
- Is Your Emergency Fund Big Enough?
- Inspiration to Keep Saving Money
- 7 Mistakes We Make When Trying to Save Money
- Build Up Your Short-Term Savings…For Real This Time
- 7 Retirement Savings Excuses You Can Overcome
- Investing Should Be Simple: Tax-Advantaged Accounts and Retirement
- The One Fund I Use to Invest for Retirement – VFORX
- Don’t Be Average – Increasing 401K Contributions and Other Ways to Boost Retirement Savings
- How to Rollover a 401k to an IRA
- Best Ways to Save for Retirement After You’ve Maxed Out Your Roth IRA (No 401K)
- What is a Roth IRA and How Does it Work? [In Plain English]
- Roth IRA vs 401K: Which is Right for You?
- How to Retire Early – Let’s Run the Numbers
- Can You Count on Social Security?
- Starting Up Taxable Investing
Recommended Resources: CapitalOne360.com and Betterment.com
Fast Track to Financial Freedom: Making Extra Money and Entrepreneurship
- 8 Tips to Help You Make the Most Selling Your Junk on Craigslist
- 52 Ways to Make Extra Money
- The Best Cash Back Sites
- Two Legit Paid Survey Sites
- Best Jobs for Stay-At-Home Moms (and Dads!)
- How to Make Six Figures a Year as a Freelancer
- How to Find Time to Make Extra Money
- 20 Unique Business Ideas That You Can Start Today
- Create Your Very Own Money-Making Small Business from a Hobby
- Start a Business with No Money: Do You Want it Bad Enough?
- 5 Things To Do Before Starting a Business
- How to Find Business Ideas that Work – Focus on Scale
- 7 Small Business Mistakes to Avoid
- Self-Employment: A Year Later
- My Thoughts on How to Make Extra Money Blogging
- How I Started a New Company (Entity, Taxes, Etc.) for My Conference Business
- Solo 401k vs SEP IRA: Which Should You Choose for Your Business?
Recommended Resources: Quickbooks Online and Upwork.com
My Real Estate Adventures
- How to Find Investment Properties: Evaluating Real Estate Property for Purchase
- Buying a New Home and Converting Your Current Home Into a Rental Property
- My First Rental Property: Seemingly Not Really a Great Investment
- The Best Places to List and Advertise Your Rental Property (Some Free!)
- Rental Repairs: Fixing Up My Rental Property
- Find a Tenant: Credit Check and Screening
- Finally Rented: Creating and Signing a Residential Lease Agreement
- Rent Collection: What’s the Best Way to Collect the Rent from Your Tenant?
- The Cash Flow Analysis for Our Rental Property at Year End 2013
- What to Do If Your Tenant Breaks the Lease
My Travel Hacking Adventures
- How to Have Your First Credit Card “App Party” and Start Traveling for Free
- My First Credit Card App Party Results in 200,000 Bonus Points
- 130,000 Points for the Win: Results of My Second Credit Card App Party
- Our Recent Points Trip “Babycation” to Tucson’s J.W. Marriott Starr Pass Resort
- Spirit Airlines Experience – The Ala Carte Airline
- The Cost of My Trip to Portland, Oregon
- The Best Credit Cards
More Money Experiments We’ve Completed
- My Approach to Stock Speculation in 2014 [Grow Your Dough Throwdown Part 1]
- Meeting with a Fee-Only Certified Financial Planner, Part 1: Finding an Advisor and Gathering Info
- The Surprising Results of My Experian Credit Educator Session
- How to Organize a Successful Peer Conference: Behind the Scenes at the Financial Blogger Conference
- Ouch! My Uninsured Trip to the Dentist
- I Made $180 Simply Waiting in Line at the DMV
- Getting My CHL: The Cost to Carry a Concealed Handgun
- My DIY Kitchen Upgrade: Install Kitchen Appliances Yourself and Save
- Road Trip Car Rental: Is it Better to Rent a Car or Drive Your Own?
- What a $25,000 Wedding Budget Looks Like
Other: College Savings and Insurance
- How to Pay for College if You Started Saving Too Late
- Common Questions About 529 Plans and College Savings
- Find the Perfect Mix of College Funding Options
- 20 Tips for a More Affordable Auto Insurance Policy
- How to Buy Life Insurance in 7 Easy Steps
- Protect What You Value: Getting Term Life Insurance
- Why I Bought a $500k 20-Year Term Life Insurance Policy and You Should Too
- Do You Need LT Disability Insurance?
- Buying Health Insurance as a Self Employed Individual
- My MediShare Review: Goodbye Obamacare
- Save Money on Health Care: Health Savings Account vs Flexible Spending Account
Recommended Resources: EHealthInsurance.com and Medishare
For the latest posts, be sure to subscribe to the email list.